A food recall occurs when there is reason to believe that a food may cause consumers to become ill. A food manufacturer or distributor initiates the recall to take foods off the market. In some situations, food recalls are requested by government agencies (USDA or FDA).
Some reasons for recalling food include:
- Discovery of an organism in a product which may make consumers sick
- Discovery of a potential allergen in a product
- Mislabeling or misbranding of food. For example, a food may contain an allergen, such as nuts or eggs, but those ingredients do not appear on the label.
Latest CDC Food Safety Alerts
- Hy-Vee Voluntarily Recalls Spring Pasta Salad Due to Reported Illnesses July 18, 2018WEST DES MOINES, Iowa (July 17, 2018) - Hy-Vee, Inc., based in West Des Moines, Iowa, is voluntarily recalling its Hy-Vee Spring Pasta Salad due to the potential that it may be contaminated with Salmonella. The potential for contamination was brought to Hy-Vee's attention last night when approximately 20 illnesses in Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska an […]
- Smithfield Packaged Meats Corp. Recalls Pepperoni Five Cheese Calzone Products Due to Possible Extraneous Material Contamination July 18, 2018Smithfield Packaged Meats Corp., doing business as Stefano Foods., a Charlotte, N.C. establishment, is recalling approximately 24,048 pounds of pepperoni five cheese calzones that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically pieces of hard, sharp, clear plastic.
- New Seasons Market Recalls Ready-To-Eat Sesame Noodle Chicken Salad Products Due to Misbranding and Undeclared Allergens July 17, 2018New Seasons Market, a Portland, Ore. establishment, is recalling an undetermined amount of ready-to-eat sesame noodle chicken salad products due to misbranding and undeclared allergens.
- The PictSweet Company Recalls 12 Ounce Steam'ables Baby Brussel Sprouts for Undeclared Milk and Soy Allergens July 17, 2018Bells, TN - The Pictsweet Company has recalled 960 cases of Pictsweet Farms 12-ounce Steam'ables Baby Brussels Sprouts because they may contain undeclared milk and soy allergens. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to milk or soy may run the risk of serious allergic reaction if they consume this product.
- ALDI Voluntarily Recalls AnnaSea Wasabi Ahi Poke Hawaiian Poke Kits and Limu Ahi Poke Hawaiian Poke Kits Due to Storage at Incorrect Temperature in Area Store July 17, 2018Batavia, Ill. Uuly 14, 2018) -ALDI has voluntarily recalled AnnaSea Wasabi Ahi Poke Hawaiian Poke Kits and Limu Ahi Poke Hawaiian Poke Kits sold at one retail store location in North Carolina. While the products are required to remain at frozen temperatures to ensure safety, this store location displayed and sold the products from the cooler section. Because […]
- Utz Quality Foods Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Soy in Utz® Carolina Style Barbeque Potato Chips July 16, 2018Utz® Quality Foods, LLC., is voluntarily recalling select expiration dates of Utz® Carolina Style Barbeque Potato Chips due to undeclared soy allergen. This recall was initiated after learning a certain number of packages were mislabeled. People who have an allergy or severe sensitivity to soy run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if […]
- The Beautiful Pig, Inc. Recalls Ready-To-Eat And Raw Pork And Beef Products Produced Without The Benefit Of Inspection And Shipped Under U.S. Retention July 14, 2018The Beautiful Pig, Inc., a Longview, Wash. establishment, is recalling an undetermined amount of ready-to-eat and raw pork and beef products because the products were produced, packed and distributed without the benefit of inspection and were also under U.S. retention when shipped without approval.
- AZ Firm Issues Voluntary Product Recall Due to Undeclared Peanuts in Superfood Salad July 13, 2018Papa John's Salads and Produce of Tolleson, AZ is voluntarily recalling 148 units of the Superfood Salads due to misbranding and undeclared peanuts. The product contains peanuts which are not declared on the product label as packages of peanuts were mistakenly included in the kits instead of cashews.
- Afandina Halal Recalls Raw Chicken Products Produced Without Benefit of Inspection July 9, 2018Afandina Halal, a Long Island City, N.Y. establishment, is recalling an undetermined amount of raw poultry products that were produced, packaged and distributed without the benefit of federal inspection.
- Pseudomonas Aeruginosa Bacteria Found In Saje Splish Splash Gentle Baby Wash July 7, 2018Saje Natural Wellness is warning customers not to use Splish Splash Gentle Baby Wash, 8.5 fl. oz. and 1.7 fl. oz. (found in the Wee and Well Gentle Baby Care Kit) as it may contain the bacteria Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Pseudomonas aeruginosa is an opportunistic pathogen that causes infection and results in bacteria in the blood, particularly in individuals wi […]