New York Certified Food Managers
New York requires each retail food establishment to have a person-in-charge, owner, or manager who is a Certified Food Manager (CFM) that has successfully passed an examination from an accredited certification provider.
- The Food Safety Manager Principles Course provides a foundational knowledge of the FDA Food Code and covers foodborne hazards and pathogens, cross contamination, proper preparation and temperature controls, proper hygiene, proper cleaning and sanitation methods, regulations, and the proper techniques to maintain a food-safe environment. The training course prepares the learner for the certification exam.
- The Learn2Serve Food Protection Manager Certification is an accredited exam that assesses and certifies the knowledge and skills of a food manager. The certification is valid for up to 5 years, depending on your local health authority.
New York Certified Food Manager & State Info
Food Manager Training Course
The Food Safety Manager Principles Course provides a foundational knowledge of the FDA Food Code and covers foodborne hazards and pathogens, cross contamination, proper preparation and temperature controls, proper hygiene, proper cleaning and sanitation methods, regulations, and the proper techniques to maintain a food-safe environment.
Audience: Experienced professionals in the food service industry, such as owner, manager, person-in-charge (PIC), chef, cook, or any employee.
- Lesson 1: Introduction to Food Safety
- Lesson 2: Biohazards, Foodborne Disease, and Food Spoilage
- Lesson 3: Contaminants
- Lesson 4: Food and Temperature Control
- Lesson 5: Employee Health, Hygiene, and Training
- Lesson 6: Purchasing, Receiving, and Storing Food
- Lesson 7: Cleaning and Sanitizing
- Lesson 8: Pest Control
- Lesson 9: Facility Design
- Lesson 10: HACCP System Basics
- Lesson 11: FDA Guidelines for Developing a HACCP System
- Lesson 12: Developing, Implementing, and Maintaining a HACCP Plan
- Lesson 13: Seafood HACCP
- Lesson 14: Consumer Steps to Safer Seafood
ANSI Certification Exam
To be certified as a food manager, the individual must pass an accredited food safety examination - administered by a certification provider.
The Learn2Serve Food Protection Manager Certification is approved by the American National Standards Institute and the Conference for Food Protection (ANSI-CFP). With the exception of Connecticut, this accredited exam is accepted in all states/jurisdictions that have mandatory certification requirements for Food Management Professionals.
Reference: ANSI (American National Standards Institute)
Help with Exam
We have partnered with PSI - a global testing, certification, and licensing provider. The exam is proctored at a PSI test center location.
After purchasing the exam, you should receive an email from PSI instructing you how to schedule your exam. If you do not receive this email, please contact support at 877.881.2235.
You can also click here to schedule exam online at a testing center near you.
Upon successful completion of the exam with a passing score, you may download and print a proof of completion document. The official certificate will be mailed within 15 business days of completing the exam.
- New York Food Protection Course Training Manual (PDF)
- New York Health Code: Article 81 – Food Prep & Food Establishments (PDF)
- New York State Sanitary Code – Part 14, Subpart 14-1 Food Service Establishments
- New York State – Agriculture and Markets Department – Food Safety and Inspection – Application Forms
The NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene requires New York Food Protection Certificate for supervisors in any food service establishment, including non-retail and temporary food service establishments. The certificate is awarded upon successful completion of a food protection course. A person holding a Food Protection Certificate must be on premises and supervise all food preparation activities during all hours of the establishment’s operation. This certification requires applicants to take a 15-hour course (in person or online) and pass an examination (in person only).
The NYC Health Code requires supervisors of food service establishments and non-retail food service establishments be certified in food protection.
NYC Health Code – Article 81: Food Preparation & Food Establishments (PDF)
§81.15. Food protection course
(a) Food protection certificate required. No person who is charged with the management or supervision of the operations of a food service establishment or non-retail food processing establishment shall engage or be employed in such capacity unless he or she obtains a certificate issued by the Department subsequent to successful completion of a course in food protection, and passage of an examination administered by the Department. No person required to have a license issued pursuant to §89.03(b) of this Code shall be issued such license unless he or she obtains such a certificate. A person holding such certificate shall be on the premises and shall supervise all food preparation activities during all hours of operation.
To prepare for the New York Food Protection Course and Exam, read: NYC Food Protection Course Training Manual (PDF)
Food Truck and Food Vendor
- New York City – Mobile Food Vending Unit
- New York City – Food Cart Vendor
- New York City Business – Mobile Food Vending License
- New York City – Updated Regulations 2014 – Mobile Food Vendors (PDF)
- NYC Rules – Mobile Food Vendors
- New York Street Food
- New York City Food Truck Association
- New York Magazine – Twenty Best Food Carts
- NYC Truck Food
- Midtown Lunch – Midtown NYC – Stret Vendor Issues
- Street Vendor Project
- Suffolk County – Food Code
- Long Island Food Trucks
New York State Department of Health
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12237
Phone: (518) 447-4580
New York County Health Departments: http://www.nysacho.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3779
The New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has the jurisdiction to regulate all matters affecting health in the city and to perform all those functions and operations that relate to the health of the people of NYC.
New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH)
42-09 28th St.
Queens, NY 11101
Course & Exam Summary
- Course Duration: 8 Hours
- Exam Duration: 1.5 Hours
- Take course anywhere and anytime!
- Download course certificate upon completion
- Exam Nationally Accepted & Accredited
- Schedule Exam at PSI Test Center
- Available en Español
- 24×7 Support: (877) 881-2235 – Online
New York Food Safety Manager Course
Curso de Principios de Administración de Seguridad de Alimentos
New York Food Manager ANSI Certification Exam
New York Food Manager Course & ANSI Certification Exam
Special Package Price: $99.00
Save Big with Group Rates
Get huge discounts by enrolling and training all your employees. Enjoy tailored corporate solutions and training services – a free cloud-based LMS and even consulting services. Track progress, generate reports, and manage learners online. More Info
We offer online Food Safety Training in New York for: New York City – NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse, Albany, New Rochelle, Cheektowaga, Mount Vernon, Schenectady, Utica, Brentwood, Tonawanda CDP, White Plains, Hempstead, Levittown, Manhattan, Bronx, Queens, Brooklyn, Staten Island, and many more!